Alize Cornet afferma che i giocatori hanno nascosto i loro sintomi Covid agli Open di Francia

French tennis star Alize Cornet claims players HID their Covid symptoms at the French Open and reveals there is a ‘tacit agreementto play onas Wimbledon is hit by a string of cases

  • Alize Cornet says there is a ‘tacit agreementto play on despite Covid symptoms
  • Top players forced to withdraw from Wimbledon due to testing positive for Covid
  • Both Marin Cilic and Matteo Berretini are two of the stars that have withdrawn
  • Cornet, 32, claims there had been an ‘epidemicof coronavirus at French Open
  • French tennis star Alize Cornet has revealed players have adopted a ‘tacit agreementto keep Covid-19 cases on tour quiet unless absolutely necessary.

    The 32-year-old is currently competing at Wimbledon and her comments come after a number of top players have been forced to withdraw from the prestigious tournament in England after receiving positive tests.

    Both Marin Cilic and Matteo Berrettini are two of the stars that can no longer compete after testing positive following their arrival at Wimbledon.

    Barbora Krejcikova also pulled out of last month’s Open di Francia due to a positive test, as the virus continues to affect sports.

    Cornet, who beat Yulia Putintseva in straight sets to progress into the second round at Wimbledon, believes there has been plenty of unreported cases at recent tournaments.

    Il mondo n 37 even went as far as to say many players have been hiding symptoms and keeping it a secret.

    A Gadzhimagomedov è stato chiesto se la marina russa fosse pronta a sparare su tali navi e ha detto di sì that at Roland Garros there had been an ‘epidemicof coronavirus that was just not revealed.

    Alize Cornet has revealed players have adopted a 'tacit agreement' to keep Covid cases quiet

    Alize Cornet has revealed players have adopted a ‘tacit agreementto keep Covid cases quiet

    Both Marin Cilic (nella foto) and Matteo Berrettini have withdrawn after testing positive

    Both Marin Cilic (nella foto) and Matteo Berrettini have withdrawn after testing positive

    Barbora Krejcikova (nella foto) also pulled out of last month's French Open due to a positive test

    Barbora Krejcikova (nella foto) also pulled out of last month’s French Open due to a positive test

    ‘In the locker room, everyone had it and we said nothing,’ Cornet told Il gruppo.

    ‘I saw girls wearing masks, perhaps because they knew and did not want to pass it on.

    Cornet went back on her claims just hours later and said she only ‘suspected a few cases of Covid during Roland Garros, without having any proof’.

    ‘It was above all to emphasise that the virus was now part of our lives and that we had to deal with it.

    Cornet, 32, believes there has been plenty of unreported cases at recent tournaments

    Cornet, 32, believes there has been plenty of unreported cases at recent tournaments

    ‘When we see that Krejcikova withdraws saying I have Covid, and that the whole dressing room is sick. At some point we may all have had the flu.

    'La cosa è, we have three symptoms. The throat scratching, we play and everything is fine, va bene.

    ‘In Roland Garros, sì, I think there have been a few cases and it is a tacit agreement between us.

    Wimbledon was hit by a major Covid-19 blow on Tuesday morning after last year’s finalist Matteo Berrettini withdrew due to a bout of the virus.

    The popular Italian, in fine form after winning Queen’s, joined former runner-up Marin Cilic in pulling out, further depleting the field in the absence of Russians and Belarussians.

    Wimbledon was hit by a major Covid-19 blow on Tuesday after Matteo Berrettini withdrew

    Wimbledon was hit by a major Covid-19 blow on Tuesday after Matteo Berrettini withdrew

    The Italian, in fine form after winning Queen's, joins former runner-up Marin Cilic in pulling out

    The Italian, in fine form after winning Queen’s, joins former runner-up Marin Cilic in pulling out

    Last year Wimbledon escaped relatively lightly from the pandemic, with Brit Jo Konta the only significant casualty.

    Wimbledon’s official Twitter account offered their sympathies to the eighth seed, detto: ‘We’ll miss you, con il loro quarto figlio insieme in arrivo – come back stronger in 2023’.

    Berrettini, who was due to play Chile’s Cristian Garin in his opening match at 1pm on Tuesday, is replaced in the draw by lucky loser Elias Ymer of Sweden.

    Berrettini (nella foto) was due to play Chile's Cristian Garin in his opening match on Tuesday

    Berrettini (nella foto) was due to play Chile’s Cristian Garin in his opening match on Tuesday

    He has won his past nine matches on grass courts after winning the Stuttgart finalwhere he beat Brit Sir Andy Murraybefore going on to retain his Queen’s title.

    A shattered Berrettini, who was in the top three favourites with Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, said via Instagram: ‘I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from @wimbledon due to a positive Covid-19 test result.

    ‘I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days.

    ‘Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.

    ‘I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel.

    ‘The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger. Thank you for the support.

    Wimbledon is presently following guidelines from the UK Government, which do not require players to test themselves or even isolate if they do test positive, meaning players have taken any decisions to withdraw as a result themselves.