Your country needs you… to get your booster! Boris and Sajid urge Britons to get their third Covid jabs amid fears of waning immunity
Reminding the public of the risks still posed by 코로나 바이러스, the Prime Minister says those who have been double-vaccinated should not be ‘over-confident’ about their immunity – and risk becoming ‘seriously ill’ if they fail to take up the offer to get their third.
Saying ‘people don’t quite realise the first two jabs start to wane’ and urging the over-50s, who qualify for a booster shot six months and one week after their second jab, to book an appointment even if the NHS has not contacted them, 그는 덧붙인다: '부디, 부디, please can everybody get their boosters.’
지난주 일요일에 공개된 메일, Ministers want people to be able to book their booster a month before it is due, but there has been frustration about delays.
Mr Javid said last night: ‘I have asked officials to change the booking system so those eligible will be able to book their booster at five months so they can receive their jab as soon as they reach the six-month mark.
‘This change will be made in the coming days.
‘Not only will you be protecting yourself, you’ll be giving this country the best chance of getting through the winter without restrictions, and making sure that the painful restrictions of last winter are an exception and not a rule.’
Echoing Mr Johnson’s warning, the Health Secretary said: ‘Although our vaccines give powerful protection, we know the protection from a Covid-19 vaccine wanes over time, just as it does with other vaccines.
Reminding the public of the risks still posed by coronavirus, Prime Minister Boris Johnson (사진) says those who have been double-vaccinated should not be ‘over-confident’ about their immunity – and risk becoming ‘seriously ill’ if they fail to take up the offer to get their third
Echoing Mr Johnson’s warning, Health Secretary Sajid Javid (사진) 말했다: ‘Although our vaccines give powerful protection, we know the protection from a Covid-19 vaccine wanes over time, just as it does with other vaccines.’
‘This is likely to be most evident in older people or clinically at-risk groups. A small drop in immunity can mean a big impact on our NHS and many unnecessary lives lost.
‘I am calling on all eligible people to muster the collective spirit that has got us this far and do your bit for your country by getting boosted.’
약간 270,785 booster jabs were administered on Friday, taking the total to 7,564,423. The average number given daily over the past week was 273,000.
비교하여, the peak seven-day rolling average for second jabs came on April 26, 와 416,000. 그것은:
- Positive Covid tests fell by 14 per cent week on week to 41,278, suggesting a spike may be ending. 있었다 166 reported deaths, up more than 17 per cent on seven days ago, and hospital admissions rose almost 6 퍼센트 1,038;
- Mr Johnson said he could ‘see no evidence whatever to think that any kind of lockdown is on the cards’ to ruin Christmas;
- Mr Javid pledged more action on jabbing children aged 12 ...에 15, but said there had been a ‘surge’ over half-term with almost 33,000 bookings for that group last Monday;
- Demonstrators took to the streets of London again to protest against any introduction of vaccine passports for a winter Covid ‘Plan B’;
- A splinter group from Veterans 4 Freedom, a paramilitary-style organisation exposed by the MoS, is behind a legal threat to a school over jabs for children. Global Veterans Alliance allows parents to download ‘cease and desist’ letters to serve on schools if their children say they want to be vaccinated.
Mr Johnson said that while Covid case numbers were ‘high’, they ‘do not constitute any reason to go to Plan B’ and tightened restrictions.
그는 덧붙였다: ‘Rather than thinking new restrictions, the best thing everybody can do is get that booster jab as soon as you’re offered it.’
Expressing concern about those who have been double-jabbed not bothering to get a booster, 그는 말했다: ‘How tragic it would be if people who had other complications in their health got seriously ill because they were over-confident about their level of immunity.’