Family of Chris Kaba ‘will take a step back’ from campaigning after viewing police bodycam footage of him being shot dead following pursuit… but insist fight for ‘truth and justice’ is not over
The family of unarmed black man Chris Kaba who was shot dead by a Metropolitan Police officer are ‘going to take a step back’ after being shown body-worn police camera footage of the shooting.
Mr Kaba, 24, was killed on September 5 following a police pursuit of his car which ended in Streatham Hill, south Londra. His Audi was hemmed in by two police vehicles in Kirkstall Gardens, a narrow residential street, and one round was fired from a police weapon.
The Metropolitan Police officer involved has been suspended by the force and the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating.
Speaking the day after Mr Kaba’s closest family members viewed some footage of the incident, his cousin Jefferson Bosela said: ‘The family just wants justice. For now, the family are going to take a break and take a step back.’
Mr Kaba’s mother Helen Nkama told Sky News it was ‘very hard’ to watch the footage, which the family had previously asked to see.
‘It was hard…it was very hard,’ she said.
Chris Kaba (nella foto) was shot dead by a Metropolitan Police officer during a traffic stop on September 5
Mr Kaba, 24, was killed following a police pursuit of his car which ended in Streatham Hill, south London
She added: ‘As I’ve said before, my heart is already broken.
‘What I want is justice and I want the truth, the truth, that’s what I want for Chris. I need the truth.’
The family watched the video at their solicitors’ office before later having a meeting with the new Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley and IOPC director general Michael Lockwood on Wednesday, according to the BBC.
A statement issued this afternoon through the charity Inquest on behalf of the family of Chris Kaba, and in collaboration with their legal representatives at Hickman and Rose, said: ‘Yesterday, Chris Kaba’s closest family were given the opportunity to view some footage of the incident in which he was fatally shot by a police officer. The facts of this case demand urgent accountability and the family therefore await regular meaningful updates on the investigation and the progress towards a charging decision.’
‘The family will not make any further comment for the time being, whilst awaiting further regular updates from the IOPC to ensure that the investigation does the job that it needs to do.
‘The family’s demands for the officer to be questioned under caution and for an early charging decision remain unchanged.’
Police boxed in the car Mr Kaba was driving, pictured centre, before he was shot dead
A statement issued yesterday on behalf of the family said: ‘Today, the family of Chris Kaba had private meetings with the new Metropolitan Police Service Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley and the director general of the IOPC, Michael Lockwood. The family will not be making any further comment at this time.’
A statement from the Met Police earlier also confirmed the meeting.
‘The Commissioner met the family of Chris Kaba this evening,’ a spokesperson for the force said. ‘This was a private meeting.’
Investigators from the IOPC will consider whether race was a factor in the fatal shooting.
Chris Kaba’s parents Prosper and Elaine previously speaking out about the death of their son
In a statement, the IOPC said it would ‘explore all of the circumstances’ surrounding the death of the unarmed 24-year-old father-to-be, including whether ‘race influenced any actions taken by the police’.
An IOPC spokesman today told the MailOnline: ‘While I’m aware of the reports, we won’t be commenting on our private and confidential meetings with the family of Chris Kaba or their representatives, as we must maintain the integrity of this ongoing criminal investigation.’
An inquest into Mr Kaba’s death will be opened on October 4.
Crowds demanding ‘Justice for Chris Kaba’ assembled outside of New Scotland Yard to protest Met Police‘s killing of the 24-year-old father-to-be at the weekend.
The vigil was addressed by former Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, who now sits in the House of Commons as an independent
Hundreds of people stood outside New Scotland Yard for the vigil demanding ‘Justice for Chris Kaba’, many holding banners
A sign saying ‘no justice, no peace’ as campaigners came together over the weekend
Ex- labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was among those participating in Saturday’s march
Police performed CPR on Mr Kaba and he was rushed to hospital but he died shortly after
Flowers and candles left on Kirkstall Gardens in tribute to Mr Kaba, who died after being hit by a single firearm round
The aspiring rapper’s death triggered a slew of protests led by Black Lives Matter, with the latest taking place outside police headquarters. Ex-labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was among those participating in Saturday’s march.
‘We cannot live the pain felt by his family, but we can support them in demanding #JusticeForChrisKaba,’ Mr Corbyn tweeted.
Mr Kaba’s cousin, Jefferson Bosela, who has taken on the role of family spokesperson said the IOPC’s timeline for the homicide investigation ‘lacks urgency’ and claims the office has not been ‘necessarily helpful.’
He spoke to Saturday’s crowd to thank everyone for ‘their love and support’ for the family during these ‘trying times.’