Dog owner is left with £12,000 vet bill when her Staffordshire bull terrier swims in polluted sea water and falls ill – after Great Dane died swimming at same spot
A dog owner was left with a £12,000 vet bill when her Staffordshire bull terrier swam in polluted sea water and fell ill- after a Great Dane died swimming in the same area.
Nalu, who is eight months old, picked up a severe infection when swimming at Langstone Harbour in Hayling Island, leaving her owner Louisa Moss, 47, ‘terrified.’
The dog became so ill that it had to be put on a ventilator and was struggling to breathe, with only a quarter of one of her lungs working and her owners were told she might die.
She spent six days at a veterinary specialist referral centre called Lumbry Park in Alton with aspirational pneumonia and E.coli and her owners were not allowed to visit her.
Mrs Moss said: ‘We believe it came from her swimming in the sea, because we live near Langstone Harbour, we used to walk down there with her and take her into the water to get her used to the water because we have a boat and wanted her to come on it with us.
‘We ended up with a bill of about £12,000 because the vets told us she wouldn’t make it if she stayed with them because they didn’t have the equipment. It was so traumatic. I was in tears every single day, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.’
Nalu (图为), who is eight months old, picked up a severe infection when swimming at Langstone Harbour in Hayling Island, leaving her owner Louisa Moss, 47, ‘terrified’
Mrs Moss said: ‘I emailed Southern Water and said I believed my dog has become ill after being in the water. They don’t believe that the sea is dirty and said it has always tested as clean there.
‘It’s not just dogs, people are getting ill from being in the water and everything. We kayak and we take our paddle boards out there.
‘Now I’m just constantly worried she is going to get ill again. I won’t let her in the water anymore and everyone I have spoken to has said they won’t go in the water now either.’
Mrs Moss says she plans to take Southern Water to small claims court as she believes they are at fault for Nalu’s illness.
Nalu’s illness comes after dog owner David Arthur,59, revealed this week that his Great Dane Odin died as a result of swimming in the sea on Hayling Island beach.
The dog became so ill that it had to be put on a ventilator and was struggling to breathe, with only a quarter of one of her lungs working and her owners were told she might die. 图为: Langstone Harbour
Mr Arthur, from Cowplain, 汉斯, had already spent £6,000 on treating Odin but vets said the dog’s lungs were too badly damaged from pneumonia.
Vets pointed to the sea as a likely cause of infection and the pooch was put to sleep.
Odin’s death from bronchial pneumonia came after Southern Water was fined £90m last year for pouring sewage into the sea deliberately.
Mr Arthur was offered £500 from Southern Water as a goodwill gesture but the company refused to accept the water was unclean in the area.
Nalu’s illness comes after dog owner David Arthur,59, revealed this week that his Great Dane Odin (图为) died as a result of swimming in the sea on Hayling Island beach
Mr Arthur said: ‘We are heartbroken. Odin was a fit and healthy dog – probably the strongest one we’ve had in 40 年份.
‘He was absolutely fit as a fiddle, lively, so full of life and in your face.
‘I’ve got other dogs but the difference is that Odin would swim out of his depth in the sea every day. We think pollution has gone into his lung and caused an infection.’
在六月, Hayling Sewage Watch gathered more than 2,000 signatures from people calling for ‘help to stop Hayling beaches being polluted with untreated sewage’.
Group member Mike Owens said: ‘We know from our own testing and the regular reports of sickness by water users that the seas around Hayling are regularly polluted by water outflows containing untreated sewage.’
在十月, the Environment Agency warned people not to get into the water in the area due to an ‘abnormal situation’ after residents reported sanitary products and wet wipes along the beach.
Mr Arthur, 59, (pictured with Odin) from Cowplain, 汉斯, had already spent £6,000 on treating Odin but vets said the dog’s lungs were too badly damaged from pneumonia
A spokesman for Southern Water said: ‘We are sorry to hear Ms Moss’ dog became ill. We understand how a bereaved pet owner would look for someone to blame but there is no evidence we are either directly or indirectly responsible.
‘The beaches around Hayling Island have among the highest quality water in the country – tested throughout the summer by the Environment Agency with results published on the Defra website. 一些 78 的 83 beaches in our area are ‘excellent’ or ‘good’ according to the government’s classification and none are below acceptable.
‘So that recreational water users can take informed decisions about whether to take to the sea we publish every release of storm water made in near real time 365 days a year.’
Mr Arthur was offered £500 from Southern Water as a goodwill gesture but the company refused to accept the water was unclean in the area. 图为: Hayling Island Beach