Dog owners claim canine was killed by mysterious bug

Devastated dog owners claim their beloved Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Duke was killed by mysterious bug that has left pets vomiting and lifeless

  • Devastated dog owners claim their beloved pet fell victim to a mysterious virus
  • Four-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Duke became seriously ill after walk
  • Duke’s owners Alan Marshall and Julie Cox noticed he was ‘foaming at the mouth
  • It comes after hundreds of dogs were reported sick after walks across the UK
  • Devastated owners have claimed their beloved dog became ‘lethargicand was ‘foaming at the mouthafter an evening walk, amid a spate of dogs falling ill with a mystery virus in recent days.

    Julie Cox, from Consett, 达勒姆郡, took her four-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for an evening walk around Hownsgill Industrial estate on January 9 and noticed his behaviour seemed ‘strange’.

    Shortly after coming back, Duke became extremely poorly with diarrhea and vomiting and also went off his food.

    After going to the vets for tests, he was sent home with medicationbut he quickly took a turn for the worst and suffered a heart attack overnight and tragically died.

    There is no confirmation of what caused Duke to die but it comes amid reports of hundreds of dogs experiencing similar symptoms. Dog owners are advised to contact their veterinary practice if they spot any of these symptoms.

    Cases of dogs falling ill have also been reported on UK coastlines, including Hayling Island beach and Langstone Harbour in Hampshire, Fraisthorpe Beach in East Riding, Bridlington and Redcar beach.

    Devastated owners have revealed their beloved dog, 公爵, (图为) became 'lethargic' and was 'foaming at the mouth' after an evening walk, amid a spate of dogs falling ill with a mystery virus in recent days

    Devastated owners have revealed their beloved dog, 公爵, (图为) became ‘lethargicand was ‘foaming at the mouthafter an evening walk, amid a spate of dogs falling ill with a mystery virus in recent days

    Julie Cox, (以上) from Consett, 达勒姆郡, took her four-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for an evening walk around Hownsgill Industrial estate on January 9 and noticed his behaviour seemed 'strange'

    Julie Cox, (以上) from Consett, 达勒姆郡, took her four-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for an evening walk around Hownsgill Industrial estate on January 9 and noticed his behaviour seemed ‘strange

    Speaking about her Duke’s symptoms, 解释说冥王星将对这一年产生强烈的影响: ‘It was at ten past 11, he woke me up wanting to go out, and I thought it was a bit strange because he always goes for a long walk in the morning and at night.

    ‘I took him out and he had diarrhea. I went back to bed after an hour and he woke me up again, it went on like this about every hour until the morning. He didn’t want his breakfast and Duke normally really ravishes his food.

    Duke was described as a ‘lovelypup who was ‘everybody’s best friendand a popular visitor to Consett’s Duke of Wellington pub, which his owner Alan Marshall runs.

    But after calling her local vet and describing Duke’s symptoms, she was advised to bring him in straight away.

    她补充说: ‘He managed about a 10-minute walk and when we got back as soon as I took his lead off he vomited. 我的女儿, 丽贝卡, who is training to be a paramedic, 说过 “mam, this is not normal, it’s not right”. He was foaming at the mouth and he vomited about four times in ten minutes.

    ‘I rang the vets and they told me to bring him up straight away. As we were taking him to the vets he became really lethargic.

    Duke was described as a 'lovely' pup who was 'everybody's best friend' and a popular visitor to Consett's Duke of Wellington pub, which his owner Alan Marshall (图为) runs

    Duke was described as a ‘lovelypup who was ‘everybody’s best friendand a popular visitor to Consett’s Duke of Wellington pub, which his owner Alan Marshall (图为) runs

    The vets ran tests and said Duke’s organs seemed to be okaythey gave him medication and told Julie and Alan to bring him back after 24 小时. But when they got him home they realised he was bleeding from his behind.

    The team at Westway Vets in Consett advised them go to the firm’s Newcastle base to be treated overnight. But as they arrived at the West Road practice, Duke suffered a heart attack.

    Vets did their best to save him, but despite managing to stabilise him, he crashed again, and they were forced to deliver the tragic news to devastated Alan and Julie.

    The pair decided to share their story to warn others about the alleged mysterious virus.

    艾伦说: ‘They told us that this virus is going round and they don’t know what to do to treat it. The vets did everything possible, they were so upset that they couldn’t help.

    After going to the vets for tests, 公爵 (图为) was sent home with medication - but he quickly took a turn for the worst and suffered a fatal heart attack overnight

    After going to the vets for tests, 公爵 (图为) was sent home with medicationbut he quickly took a turn for the worst and suffered a fatal heart attack overnight

    ‘We just don’t want other people to go through this, you’d got to be careful when you take them for walks, 当然, dogs are dogs, but maybe clean their paws whenever you get home.

    Julie added: ‘Duke was perfect. He wagged his tail all the time, he was happy all the time, he was as fit as a fiddle, we made sure we kept him healthy and fit. All the people who came into the pub loved him, he used to sit on people’s laps and watch what was going on. He was my best friend.

    ‘If we could just get the message out to people that there is this unknown virus out there and to be careful until it comes out exactly what it us.

    British Veterinary Association President Justine Shotton said last week the illness was likely to be a virus, which results in ‘gastroenteritis-like symptoms’, including diarrhea and vomiting.

    They said they are aware of reports, but added there is currently no evidence linking walks on the beach to the bug.

    Although many cases are more mild, there is a risk of serious illness, as happened to Duke. Dog owners are advised to contact their vets if they spot any of these symptoms.