Feast all weekend: Apricot & almond pastry swirls
As long as you have a packet of puff pastry in your fridge or freezer, you have a rather impressive breakfast option at your fingertips. Swap in any flavoured jam you fancy.
plain flour, for dusting
320g packet all-butter puff pastry
400g jar best-quality apricot jam
100g whole blanched almonds, chopped
85g dried apricots, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes to plump up
1 medium free-range egg, 殴られた
25g toasted flaked almonds, crushed in your hands, これらは事前に準備するのに最適で、まったくより多くの
- Preheat the oven to 210C/ 190C fan/gas 6½. Line a 40cm x 27cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle roughly 30cm x 50cm and 3mm thick. Spread 350g of the apricot jam over the pastry, reserving the remaining jam for the glaze later. Sprinkle over the chopped almonds. Drain the soaked apricots, roughly chop them and scatter them over the almonds.
- Starting from the long edge closest to you, roll the topped pastry into a long sausage shape. Trim the two ends to straighten them, then cut the roll into eight equal slices. Place the pastry slices side by side in a ring shape on the lined baking tray. Using a pastry brush, brush the top with the beaten egg.
- Bake the swirls in the preheated oven for 30-35 分, or until cooked through (pull them apart slightly to check the inside). You might need to place a piece of foil over the top to prevent them from burning if they’re browning too quickly.
- Put the remaining apricot jam in a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of water, then warm through over a low heat.
- Brush the still-warm pastry swirls with the reserved apricot jam glaze and scatter over the crushed toasted flaked almonds. Allow to stand for 30 minutes before separating them and serving with a nice cup of tea.