‘It was a close call’: I’m A Celebrity suffers second security scare within days as intruder is tackled by guards metres from camp after sneaking through six-tier system
Ek is 'n bekende was almost left in jeopardy on Thursday night after it was security staff tackled an intruder metres from the show’s camp.
Despite the programme’s complex six-tier security system, comprising of bulletproof detection robots, an unarmed trespasser was able to find their way into the grounds of Gwrych Castle.
Without the alertness of the guards, who managed to locate the troublemaker, die ITV show could have been forced off air as the strict COVID bubble would have been breached.
‘It was a close call’: I’m A Celebrity was almost left in jeopardy on Thursday after security staff tackled an intruder metres from the camp
Even though the man did not come into contact with the celebrities or hosts Ant and Dec, he was within touching distance of the castle walls, leaving bosses of the fan-favourite show on high alert.
An ITV source detailed to Die son: ‘It was a close call but the quick-thinking security staff realised there had been a breach due to various pieces of kit they have set up – including the Armadillo systems – and he was thrown off site immediately.’
They added that it’s been a ‘real headache’ for the security and crew and they hope it’s the last of this type of incident.
Almost disastrous: Even though the unarmed trespasser did not come into contact with the celebrities or hosts Ant and Dec, he was within touching distance of the castle walls
An ITV spokesperson confirmed the break-in and told the publication: ‘A security breach was identified and an intruder was removed from the location with immediate effect.
‘The safety of both our celebrities and our production crew remains our primary concern.’
MailOnline has contacted ITV representatives for comment.
On high alert: Despite the programme’s complex six tier security system, the intruder was able to find their way into the grounds of Gwrych Castle
Security: Producers are said to have splashed the cash on the high-tech 4ft units over fears YouTube pranksters, criminals or the general public could trespass
All the security stops have been pulled out this year in a bid to deter raiders.
As well as the bulletproof detection robots, bosses have also ensured that the site is brimming with cameras, sensors and blinding lights.
Producers are said to have splashed the cash on the high-tech 4ft units over fears YouTube pranksters, criminals or the general public could trespass.
The security system, named The Amardillo, is often used by police as it sounds when an intruder is detected and captures any attempted theft on video.
Each evening, security staff shine bright torch beams into nearby trees in case intruders seek the nightfall as the perfect opportunity to break in – and impressive new kit can deactivate drones flying near the castle.
Veiligheid eerste: All the stops have been pulled out this year with security, in a bid to deter raiders
It comes after fan Emma Louise, 39, was collecting her caravan near Abergele’s Gwrych Castle with her partner Andrew, 36, when they decided to see if they could sneak onto the set.
The couple inadvertently managed to drive past the first security checkpoint without showing any ID or passes, sy het gese, before finding themselves on the path towards the set of the ITV Wys.
The couple then drove through five more check points before reaching a dead-end and had a walk around the site on Sunday, sy het gese.
The mum-of-two checked out the iconic kiosk – Ye Olde Shoppe – and saw the trucks full of costumes and kit, as well as two towers, and the front of the castle walkway.
She’s in! The stringent security measures come after a mother claimed last week she bypassed security checkpoints to sneak into the Gwrych Castle in Wales
The almost disastrous turn of events on Thursday comes as a ‘gutted’ Richard Madeley reassured Ant and Dec he was ‘fit as a fiddle’ and has been given a ‘clean bill of health’ in his first interview after leaving the I’m A Celebrity camp during Friday night’s episode.
In a pre-recorded chat the broadcaster, 65, told the Geordie duo that ‘if it wasn’t for Covid, he’d still be in the game’ and that ITV were ‘adamant’ he was sent to hospital to be checked over.
In a major blow to the show as one of their top signings, Richard was taken ill on Thursday morning hours after participating in a gruelling trial and now can’t return as he has broken the show’s ‘Covid bubble’.
Doing well: The almost disastrous turn of events comes as a ‘gutted’ Richard Madeley reassured Ant and Dec he was ‘fit as a fiddle’ in his first interview after leaving the I’m A Celebrity camp