Joanne Hegarty: My outlook? Grassetto, with scattered stripes!
What gets me through dark, dank January – let’s be honest, there’s not much to love about this month – is peering at what’s marching fashion-wise over the hill for spring. And by the looks of things, 2022 is going to be anything but boring.
però, while some designers are pushing for ‘free the nipple’ tops – yes, veramente! – and micro-minis the size of a napkin, I’ve put together some style notes on pieces we might actually feel comfortable wearing…
- Team blazers with skirts
- It’s as easy as it sounds. Simply pair a tailored jacket with your favourite skirt and you’re already one step ahead for spring. I love the idea of this chic and hugely wearable combination. It gives you the confidence-inducing cut guaranteed by good tailoring plus the feminine ease of a skirt or flowy dress. If you want to go a dramatic step further, pair a cropped jacket with lots of tulle.
- Go hell for a leather jacket
- How many years since you saw a really good leather or biker jacket doing the rounds? This off-duty staple is back in multiple forms for spring. Whether you’re in a 1990s mood and want to opt for a slim-fit, lapel-free motorcycle style, or you prefer an oversized fit with multiple zips, the choice is entirely yours.
- Find your happy colours
- There are a lot of mood-boosting hues on the horizon: think juicy and interesting combinations such as chocolate brown, bright berry shades and sea blues mingled together to delicious effect. O, if this feels too much like hard work, wear one colour head to toe – and own it!
- Wear your 70s stripes
- sì, retro stripes are back big time. Get set to wear boho tops in 70s diagonals paired with deep blue denims, flared pants or dresses, and candy stripes taken every which way for spring.
- Enjoy the might of all-white
- Here’s at least one for the minimalists: a shock of bright white, worn head to toe, will be feeling fresh and clean for spring. Try crisp white cottons mixed with distressed white denims or silky dresses matched with white tailored jackets. Just don’t spill your coffee!
- Rock after-dark glamour
- In an act of rebellion against all those miserable lockdowns, the new spring dress code will be: just fabulous. After-dark gorgeousness – sequins, sparkling mesh, crystals and embellished styles – is set to be unleashed upon us, leaving a strong desire to play dress-up for dinner.
Follow me on Instagram