Lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein victims accuses Prince Andrew of hypocrisy

‘Now talk to the FBI’: Lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein victims accuses Andrew of hypocrisy for pledging to help sex abuse victims while refusing to cooperate with authorities

  • Lawyer representing Jeffrey Epstein victims called on Prince Andrew talk to FBI 
  • Duke promised to support sex abuse victims in settlement with Virginia Roberts
  • Gloria Allred said his pledge should start by consenting to be interviewed by FBI 
  • He is said to be a ‘person of interest’ to the FBI but has stonewalled investigators 
  • Campaigners last night demanded Prince Andrew talk to the FBI over his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein.

    One lawyer representing Epstein victims accused the duke of hypocrisy for pledging to help sex abuse victims but refusing to cooperate with authorities investigating the sordid web spun by his late paedophile friend.

    Gloria Allred said that duke’s promise to tackle the ‘evils of sex trafficking’ as part of his settlement with Virginia Roberts, who brought the lawsuit under her married name Virginia Giuffre, should start by consenting to be interviewed by federal agents.

    It came as it was claimed last night that the Duke of York can no longer repeat his denial he raped Miss Roberts due to the terms of their out-of-court settlement. 

    It was claimed a gagging clause means neither side can discuss the case or the estimated £12million financial deal – although it is alleged the terms bought Miss Roberts’ silence only for a specific time period.

    Lawyer Gloria Allred said Prince Andrew's promise to tackle the 'evils of sex trafficking' as part of his settlement with Virginia Roberts (both pictured) should start by consenting to be interviewed by the FBI

    Lawyer Gloria Allred said Prince Andrew’s promise to tackle the ‘evils of sex trafficking’ as part of his settlement with Virginia Roberts (both pictured) should start by consenting to be interviewed by the FBI

    It prevents the duke from even repeating his claim that he had no recollection of meeting Miss Roberts, it is said.

    Of the duke’s pledge to support sex abuse victims, Miss Allred said his words were ‘meaningless’ and a ‘face saving public relations gesture’ unless he followed through.

    Andrew is still said to be a ‘person of interest’ to the FBI, which last addressed the matter in August 2021 in a Reuters news agency report.

    But despite promising to cooperate with law enforcement in his interview with BBC’s Newsnight in 2019, the duke has so far stonewalled American investigators. 

    They are thought to still be looking into others in Epstein’s world after the conviction of Ghislaine Maxwell, another of Andrew’s friends, in December for recruiting and trafficking underage girls to be abused.

    In Tuesday’s statement with Miss Roberts, Andrew said he ‘pledges to demonstrate his regret for his association with Epstein by supporting the fight against the evils of sex trafficking and by supporting its victims’.

    Miss Allred said: ‘It is long overdue for him to agree to answer their questions about what he knows and observed about Jeffrey Epstein and underage girls.

    ‘For him to suggest that he will become an advocate against sex trafficking of underage girls while at the same time declining to provide law enforcement in the United States with answers to their questions about this issue is meaningless and hypocritical.

    Andrew (pictured) is still said to be a 'person of interest' to the FBI, which last addressed the matter in August 2021 in a Reuters news agency report

    Andrew (pictured) is still said to be a ‘person of interest’ to the FBI, which last addressed the matter in August 2021 in a Reuters news agency report

    ‘It is simply a face saving public relations gesture. He should announce he will immediately reach out to federal prosecutors and arrange a time and place to answer all of their questions. His silence is deafening.’

    Lisa Bloom, a lawyer who represents eight Epstein victims, said: ‘If he is going to live up to his promise to support victims, his first call should be to the FBI. Will he do it? Obviously not.’

    Robert Marsh, a lawyer who represents victim Sarah Ransome, said: ‘I would hope he would [co-operate] but the statement put out doesn’t have any suggestion he will. All it seems to say is he will give money to a victim group.’

    Andrew’s refusal to cooperate with the FBI led to a spat with Geoffrey Berman, the former US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, who was overseeing the Epstein inquiry.

    In June 2020, Mr Berman accused the duke of ‘falsely portraying himself’ as willing to be interviewed. Mr Berman also claimed that Andrew ‘shut the door’ on cooperating with them.

    In the summer of 2020, it emerged US authorities had sent the British government a formal request asking for access to the prince as part of the Epstein inquiry.

    However, now nearly two years on, it is still on a shelf in the Home Office, it is understood.

    After the conviction of Maxwell, Mr Berman’s successor Damian Williams said: ‘This office will always stand with victims, will always follow the facts wherever they lead, and will always fight to ensure that no one, no matter how powerful and well connected, is above the law.’

    The Southern District of New York declined to comment and the FBI did not respond yesterday. 

    A spokesman for the duke also declined to comment.