Man doing DIY hospitalised after drilling through electricity cable

Man carrying out DIY in his front garden is airlifted to hospital after drilling through an underground mains electricity cable

A man has been airlifted to hospital after drilling through a mains electricity cable whilst carrying out DIY in his front garden yesterday morning.

The man from Swindon, 威尔特郡, was drilling into the ground outside his house when he received a huge electric shock after accidentally hitting a live mains electricity cable.

The shock caused the man to suffer a cardiac arrest which triggered a significant emergency response.

Emergency services were called shortly after 9.40am and arrived quickly at the scene, including two air ambulances, one of which then airlifted the man to hospital.

警察, fire and rescue and ambulance crews all attended the scene in Wiltshire yesterday

警察, fire and rescue and ambulance crews all attended the scene in Wiltshire yesterday

The remains of the drill, charred by electricity, could still be seen sticking out of the ground after the incident had ended

The remains of the drill, charred by electricity, could still be seen sticking out of the ground after the incident had ended

The incident was over by 11am yesterday morning (六月 3).

威尔特郡空中救护车, Thames Valley Air Ambulance, a BASICS doctor and two ambulance service Hazardous Area Response Teams (哈特) attended alongside local 999 responders.

A BASICS doctor, or British Association for Immediate Care doctor, is a member of the organisation of the same name who can provide specialist pre-hospital emergency care.

[object Window], an ambulance officer, two fire engines and Wiltshire Police were also in attendance.

Once stabilised at the scene, Thames Valley Air Ambulance transferred the patient to Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

Local electricity officials also had to be called out after the accident sparked a local power outage

Local electricity officials also had to be called out after the accident sparked a local power outage

The DIY mishap caused the man to have a cardiac arrest, but emergency crews were able to stabilise him at the scene

The DIY mishap caused the man to have a cardiac arrest, but emergency crews were able to stabilise him at the scene

The incident sparked a localised electricity outage, which was later restored by West and West Utilities.

The burned-out drill used by the man was pictured charred from the electicity in the garden following the incident.

A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: ‘We were called to Whitbourne Avenue, Park North at 9.42am this morning after a man drilled through an electricity cable.

‘Two crews attended, from Stratton and Westlea.

‘Our stop was at 11am, when the casualty had been taken to hospital by air ambulance.

It is recommended to use an RCD, or residual current device, with all electrical appliances when working outside.

RCDs can prevent the user of electrical equipment from sustaining an electric shock if they hit or sever an electric cable.