Met Police officer, 35, accused of GBH fails to keep ID secret: Cop faces trial after suspect he Tasered during chase was left paralysed from waist down
A police officer who left a man paralysed from the chest down after shooting him with a Taser has lost his legal bid to keep his name out of the public domain.
Imran Mahmood, 35, from the Metropolitan Police – who denies inflicting grievous bodily harm – can today be named after submissions were made from a number of media organisations.
He had sought anonymity from Westminster Magistrates’ Court on the basis that he was concerned about now-wheelchair-bound Jordan Walker-Brown’s alleged links to criminal gangs.
But Chief Magistrate Paul Goldspring dismissed his application, describing the risk as ‘speculative’, and saying there was ‘insufficient evidence of real and imminent threat to life’.
Jordan Walker-Brown (pictured), 25, is paralysed from the waist down after being struck with a Taser in 2020. The police officer who fired the weapon has been charged with GBH
Mr Walker-Brown believes he was targeted by the police officers because he is black
His judgment added: ‘It is a quantum leap from the fact that it can happen, to cogent evidence that such an imminent threat exists in this case, otherwise every case with a link to gangs would merit an anonymity order, not even the applicant seeks to persuade the court that that is a correct approach to such applications.
‘The defendant is in the relatively unusual position of being a police officer accused of a crime against a member of the community, the risk of repercussions does not appear to be substantially different from those which frequently arise in the context of serious crime, particularly inter-gang crime, if indeed that is relevant here.
‘The police habitually manage such risks in the community by a variety of measures, which may well be appropriate in the present case, but anonymity is not justified.’
Mahmood, of Plaistow, east London, previously appeared in court by video link and was known by the ciphers BX140 and IM while the judge heard submissions from his legal team and the media over his anonymity bid.
Mahmood indicated a not-guilty plea during his last court appearance on Thursday.
He was released on bail until his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court on May 26.
Mr Walker-Brown, 25, was left with life-changing injuries after he fell from a wall in Haringey, north London, while being pursued by police in May 2020.
He initially said he believed he was targeted because he is a black man.
Police said any potential misconduct matters would be considered pending the outcome of the court proceedings.