Miss World Netherlands anti-vaxxer refuses to take part in Miss World because contestants must have a Covid jab
Miss World 네덜란드 has quit the modelling contest – saying she is not prepared to get vaccinated so she can travel to the final in Puerto Rico later this year.
Dilay Willemstein, 21, made the announcement late Tuesday via Instagram, saying she is ‘not yet ready’ to get the shot – and might never be.
The model and dancer will now be replaced by Lizzie Dobbe, who came second place in the Netherlands’ national contest which concluded back in July.
Dilay Willemstein, 21, winner of the Miss World Netherlands contest, has said she will not attend the final later this year because contestants are required to get a Covid vaccine
Willemstein told the media at the time of her win that taking the Miss World crown was a life-long dream.
But it was not until after winning the national event that she was told all finalists would have to be vaccinated in order to travel to Puerto Rico.
Willemstein said she did not realise finalists would have to be double-jabbed to visit Puerto Rico, where the final will be held
Puerto Rico does not currently require travellers to be fully vaccinated in order to enter, and will accept a negative PCR test taken up to three days before departure.
하나, new rules introduced last month mean that events operating at full capacity must require guests to be jabbed. 그렇지 않다면, they are limited to half capacity.
It is not clear whether the Miss World pageant was complying with locals rules when it issued its vaccine edict, or whether it was applying its own rules.
그렇지만, Willemstein has now ruled herself firmly out of the contest.
Breaking the news to her 20,000 추종자, 그녀는 적었다: ‘This is partly due to the vaccination obligation… and personally I am not ready for this yet.’
The model said she pondered her decision for months, and kept delaying making a decision when organisers contacted her.
But breaking point came when they demanded a date for her vaccination appointment, at which point she decided she couldn’t go through with it.
The model and dancer said she mulled the decision for months before finally deciding ‘I’m not ready for this at all. I don’t feel good about it’
Willemstein talked with friends who saw she was distressed and told her she didn’t have to go through with it – which made up her mind.
Speaking to Dutch site 기원 후, 그녀는 덧붙였다: ‘I thought about it carefully and considered taking the jab.
‘But at a certain point I thought: I’m not ready for this at all. I don’t feel good about it. I don’t know if I’ll take that shot later.
Despite missing out on her ‘dream’ opportunity, Willemstein insists that she does not have any regrets.
‘This door will close, but new doors will open for me,’ 그녀는 주장했다.