Police bomb disposal teams are called after ‘WWII shell was left out with the rubbish by elderly resident’ in Manchester
여자, 82, sparked an emergency evacuation after she spotted a Second World War-era bomb in a bin bag full of rubble and concrete in the shed of her home in Swinton, 그레이터 맨체스터.
The pensioner saw the old mortar shell three weeks ago before taking it out and leaving it by her wheelie bins.
But police, firefighters and and bomb disposal experts today raced to her house after a concerned neighbour saw it while helping the old woman return her bins to her driveway on Friday after bin collection day.
An 82-year-old woman spotted an old Second World War-era bomb in a bin bag in the shed of her home and placed it by her wheelie bins
The neighbour advised her to move the piece of ordnance to her back garden.
The woman’s daughter said family members grew concerned and went on to alert the emergency services after they looked up the shell online.
The fire service said a small number of residents were evacuated and a larger number told to stay indoors and keep their doors and windows shut.
An Explosive Ordnance Disposal team from Chester was subsequently scrambled.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said experts inspected the ordnance and took it away without a controlled explosion taking place.
It was declared to be safe. The woman’s daughter said her mother didn’t want to put it in her wheelie bin.
경찰, firefighters and and bomb disposal experts rushed over to the woman’s house this morning
MANCHESTER DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR
‘While London was bombed more heavily and more often than anywhere else in Britain during the Second World War, the Blitz was an attack on the whole country.
‘The heaviest raids on Manchester took place on consecutive nights on 22-23 과 23-24 12 월.
‘The Free Trade Hall, Smithfield Market and St Anne’s Church were destroyed. Deansgate and Oxford Road were blocked with debris and unexploded bombs.
‘More than 8,000 homes were destroyed or made uninhabitable. The Trafford Park industrial area was badly damaged by fires.
‘Many of the city’s firemen and civil defence workers had not yet returned from Liverpool which had been hit on 20 12 월.
‘Fires still burning in Liverpool from that raid also helped illuminate the bombers’ path to Manchester.’
그녀가 말했다: ‘The police were wonderful. They were very professional and it was declared safe.
‘It wasn’t live, but we all had to go through the process. It was in a bin bag with a load of rubble and concrete in it left by the former owner in the shed.’
The bag is understood to have been left there by the previous owner.
성명서, Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Police were called at around 11.30am today, (일요일 31 십월), following reports of a suspicious object on Moss Lane in Swinton, 맨체스터.
‘A cordon was put in place as a safety precaution and a number of residential buildings were evacuated.
The fire service said a small number of residents were evacuated and a larger number told to stay indoors and keep their doors and windows shut
‘The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was notified and after assessing the item, declared it safe.’
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed a Second World War-era bomb was discovered.
They said residents told to evacuate were asked to do so calmly and follow the instructions of the emergency services.
Residents were allowed back into their homes – and road closures were lifted at around 3pm.
In a separate incident, bomb disposal officers were also called to reports a suspected grenade had been found by a member of the public in a canal in Trafford.