Prince Albert reveals Princess Charlene is NOT in Monaco and is recovering from a ‘fatigue that is not just physical’ in a secret location following her return from South Africa
Princess Charlene has left Monaco and is staying at a secret location while she ‘recovers from fatigue that is not just physical’, her husband Prince Albert has revealed.
‘She is better, but she still needs rest and peace,’ 彼は言った, in an article translated from French. ‘She is not in the Principality, but we will be able to visit it very soon.
‘I cannot say more for discretion. There is fatigue, not just physical, that can only be treated with a period of rest and follow-up.’
It comes after the House of Grimaldi confirmed Charlene will not attend Monaco’s National Day celebrations – one of the biggest events in the royal calendar – 金曜日に.
シャーリーン, 43, returned to her husband and six-year-old twins in Monaco last Monday following a 10-month absence while she recovered from surgery following a sinus infection she contracted during a solo charity trip to her native 南アフリカ 今年の初め.
Princess Charlene is no longer in Monaco and is ‘recovering from fatigue that is not just physical’, her husband Prince Albert has revealed in a new interview with Monaco-Matin
Speaking to Monaco-Matin yesterday, アルバート, 63, confirmed his wife has left the principality less than two weeks after returning from South Africa following a 10-month absence. 写真, Albert and Charlene during their reunion in South Africa in August
In the days after her arrival, Charlene’s sister-in-law Chantell Wittstock, told MailOnline the princess would not be returning to the palace and did not plan to immediately return to public engagements. Prince Albert has continued to carry out royal duties on his own.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the couple said: ‘The Princess is currently convalescing and will continue to do so for the coming weeks, allowing Her time to recover from a state of profound general fatigue.’
The statement said the couple have ‘both decided that a period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the very best recovery for Princess Charlene’s health.’
続きました: ‘In order to protect the comfort and privacy essential to Her recovery, the Princess’ location will remain strictly confidential.
‘As soon as her health permits, the Princess looks forward to once again carrying out her Princely duties and spending time with the Monegasques.’
Before she left in January, Charlene had raised eyebrows in Monaco by living in a modest two-bedroom apartment above an old chocolate factory about 300m away, rather than in the 12th Century Palace itself. It is thought she could return to living at the property.
Asked whether the Princess would now return to the arm’s-length arrangement the couple had before her departure, Ms Wittstock, married to Charlene’s brother Sean, who is on the board of her charitable foundation, 前記: 'ああ, we don’t know yet. She’ll probably be commuting between the two, wherever she’s comfortable.
In the days after her arrival, Charlene’s sister-in-law Chantell Wittstock, told MailOnline the princess would not be returning to the palace and did not plan to immediately return to public engagements. Prince Albert has continued to carry out royal duties on his own (写真)
‘And none of that is clear yet where she’ll be settling or anything like that. というのは, she only just arrived back, so it’s everybody finding their feet. The Princess is very excited to see her kids and they’re very excited to see their mom again.
‘So we’ll see where she’ll be settling. But it will be with her husband and her children.
Ms Wittstock, asked about media stories focusing on the state of her sister-in-law’s marriage to Prince Albert, 追加: ‘It is absolutely not something I can comment on. But what I can say is the princess is back in Monaco with her husband and children that should say it all.’
The claims will inevitably cast a shadow of doubt over the staged photocall last week when Charlene was reunited with Albert, 63, and their children after a 10-month absence from Monaco.
Charlene spent months without her family in her native South Africa while she recovered from surgery following a sinus infection she contracted during a solo charity trip earlier this year.
Separate lives? Before she left in January, Charlene had raised eyebrows by living in a modest two-bedroom apartment above an old chocolate factory about 300m away, rather than in the Palace itself, as illustrated. There is debate over whether she might return to the property
ローキー: Instead of enjoying palatial rooms overlooking the Mediterranean, and a domestic staff including butlers and cooks, アパート, 写真, is a pared back apartment
The reunion, Instagramで共有, was eyed with scepticism by French commentators amid feverish speculation about the state of the Grimaldis’ 結婚.
Charlene’s time away followed fresh allegations last December that Albert had fathered a love-child (which would be his third, if proven) with an unnamed Brazilian woman during the time when he and Charlene, a former Olympic swimmer for South Africa, were already in a relationship.
On the question of Charlene’s return to public engagements, she sounded equally equivocal, 言って: ‘She absolutely will – if everything goes well, if she is definitely still healing and recovering.
‘That doesn’t just happen overnight. She’s definitely going to be taking it easy. そして、ええ, her main focus right now will be spending time with her children and her family.
Grand return: Charlene spent months without her family in her native South Africa while she recovered from surgery following a sinus infection she contracted during a solo charity trip earlier this year. 写真, the princess arriving in Monaco on Monday
Carefully choreographed: アルバート, 63, was waiting for her at the Monte Carlo helipad, along with their six-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques. The family were joined by a hand-picked photographer inside the Palace walls for the ‘reunion’ 写真, 写真
Hidden message? Posting a snap of the reunion on Instagram, Charlene wrote: ‘Happy day today. Thankyou all for keeping me strong,’ but did not name check her husband
Delighted to be reunited: Charlene’s sister-in-law said she is thrilled to be back with her children. 写真, Charlene with her son Jacques on her return to Monaco on Monday
1月 27 – シャーリーンは、モナコでのサントデボーテセレモニーのためにアルバートと一緒に描かれています.
行進 18 – シャーリーンはズールー族の君主の記念碑に描かれています, ノンゴマのKwaKhethomthandayo王宮でのグッドウィルツワリチーニ王, 南アフリカ
4月 2 – シャーリーンは自分のInstagramの写真を投稿します, アルバートとその双子のジャックとガブリエラのイースター.
五月 8 – アルバート, ジャックとガブリエラは、シャルレーヌなしでモナコで開催されたグランプリイベントに参加します
五月 10 – アルバートは、シャルレーヌなしでモナコのモナコガラ賞に出席します
五月 18 – シャーリーンは南アフリカでの彼女の保護旅行からの彼女の最初の写真を共有します
六月 1 – アルベール2世, ジャックとガブリエラはモナコの海洋博物館でのイベントに参加します
六月 3 – 彼女の保護旅行でシャーリーンの新しい写真が浮かび上がる
六月 5- シャーリーンは、姪の5歳の誕生日を兄の家族、アルバート、南アフリカの双子と記念して家族と写真を共有し、統一戦線を築きました。
六月 7 – アルバートと双子は、シャーリーンなしでワールドラグビーセブンズに参加します
六月 17 – アルベール王子は、ハノーバーの妹キャロライン王女と一緒にモンテカルロで開催された赤十字夏のコンサートに出席します
六月 18 – プリンスアルバートが一人でモンテカルロテレビ祭に出演
六月 24 – シャーリーンの財団は、王室が旅行することができず、耳の処置を受けているという声明を発表しました, 鼻と喉の感染症
7月 2 – シャルレーヌとアルバートは別々に10周年を迎えます. 「今年は、7月の結婚記念日に夫と一緒にいないのは初めてです。, 難しいです, そしてそれは私を悲しませます,’ 彼女の穏やかな殿下シャルレーヌ王女は声明で言った.
7月 3 – アルバートは、第15回国際モンテカルロジャンプイベントに華やかな姪のシャルロットカシラギと一緒に登場します, モナコのロンジングローバルチャンピオンズツアーの一部です,
7月 27 – アルバート王子は東京で一人でオリンピックに参加します
8月 13 – シャルレーヌは4時間の操作を受けます. 理由は発表されていません
8月 25 – シャーリーンがアルバート王子の写真を共有, ガブリエラとジャックが南アフリカで彼女を訪ねる
9月 1 – Charleneは、突然「崩壊した後、Netcare AlberlitoHospitalの別名で入院しました。’
9月 2 – 彼女は退院しました, パレプリンシエの読書からの声明で: 「彼女の殿下は、彼女の状態が心配していないと言った彼女の医療チームによって綿密に監視されています’
9月 23 – プリンスアルバートは出席します 2021 惑星の健康のためのモンテカルロガラ
9月 29 – プリンスアルバートは、待望のジェームズボンドのリリースを最初に見るために、女優のシャロンストーンがレッドカーペットに参加します
9月 30 – シャーリーンは、南アフリカのボルトホールから密猟防止キャンペーンを宣伝するスタイリッシュな動画を公開しています
10月 3 – シャルレーヌ王女は、健康上の恐怖から退院して以来、最初のスナップで聖書の前で微笑んでいる自分の写真を共有しています
10月 5 – アルバート王子は甥のルイ・デュクリュエと一緒にモンテカルロで行われたスポルテル表彰式に出席します
10月 6 – アルバートはRMCラジオのシャーリーンが「家に帰る準備ができている」と言います’
10月 8 – プリンセスは南アフリカで手術を受ける
11月 8 – Charlene arrives back in Monaco
‘All we can say right now is all of her procedures in South Africa were a success. So medically the doctors have cleared her to fly back. And that’s why she’s obviously back in Monaco with her kids.’
She said the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation, which promotes water safety and wildlife conservation in Africa, would soon expand to cover the whole continent.
‘The main reason for coming to Africa in the first place was to launch more Foundation projects, which is when she fell ill and the Foundation team in South Africa absolutely carried on with all of those, making sure that everything happened exactly the way she wanted it.
‘Even during recovery, in between procedures, the princess still tried to be completely hands-on and on the ground and work with us. The foundation will also be expanding into the whole of Africa as of next year.
‘As far as Charlene goes. The outlook is is positive and you know she’s going to get back to full strength and be full steam ahead. It’s not going to happen overnight.’
The new development will certainly add fuel to the intense speculation over the future of the marriage of Charlene and Albert.
Monday’s photos were greeted with a hefty dose of scepticism by the French media.
Albert was waiting for her at the Monte Carlo helipad, along with their six-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques. The family were joined by a hand-picked photographer inside the Palace walls for the ‘reunion’ 写真.
But there was already doubt cast over the couple’s living arrangements.
‘Reunion of Albert and Charlene of Monaco: but where exactly do they sleep?’ was the headline question in the respected French celebrity outlet Gala on Tuesday.
And Voici – another popular magazine read widely across Monaco and France – ran with: ‘Charlene of Monaco back: the Princess breaks the silence and forgets to mention her husband’.
This was a reference to Charlene using a social media video to thank everybody who had helped her through months of ill-health, without name-checking Albert at all.
In the streets in the shadow of the 12th century Prince’s Palace, people could not conceal their concern for Charlene this week, having seen the photos of her looking so obviously frail.
‘We are glad to have her back, but she doesn’t look well and it feels we don’t yet have the full picture,’ said one cafe owner on the Rock, 50代で, who asked not to be named.
He admitted that in years past, he like many Monegasques, had expressed frustration at the way Charlene has been less visible than other royals.
‘There was a while when there was a sense that she was a reluctant princess,’ 彼は言った, ‘but this is different – there’s obviously something not quite right either with her or the marriage and for whatever reason we’re not being told what.’
There certainly appears to be a wall of silence around Charlene, especially since she retreated behind the ramparts of the Palace, at least for the time being.
Her Palace press officer said she could not return calls from MailOnline and did not reply to a list of questions we sent her.
Doubts about the central relationship of Monaco’s royal family are not new of course. Several residents living in the narrow medieval alleys of Monaco Ville confirmed to MailOnline that before she left for South Africa Charlene was spending most of her time outside the Palace at the Chocolate factory apartment.
‘We often saw her outside the Palace and she would usually be alone or with a bodyguard,’ said one source, ‘but she was never with Albert – it was obvious she chose to spend most of her time in the apartment rather than the palace.’
Another Monte Carlo source who knows the couple well told MailOnline: ‘The way to stop all the friction and put an end to the speculation about their marriage is for Charlene to proudly move back into the Palace and start living like a proper Princess.
‘That’s what the people of Monaco want, because they love their Royals, and don’t want them living separate lives.’
Charlene came in for criticism before she travelled to South Africa for dividing her time between several properties outside the Palais, the official residence of the Sovereign, Albert II.
Instead of enjoying palatial rooms overlooking the Mediterranean, and a domestic staff including butlers and cooks, Charlene chose the Chocolate Factory.
It only had two bedrooms, and had been used in the past by Albert’s sister, Princess Stéphanie.
Stéphanie, 56, led an extremely turbulent personal life herself that included two divorces and high-profile affairs with security guards and an elephant trainer.
Princess Charlene’s trials and tribulations in the Monaco royal family
1987 – Bea Fiedler, a German topless model, claims her son Daniel was the prince’s son.
1992 – An American national files a paternity lawsuit against the Prince, claiming that he was the father of her daughter, Jazmin Grace.
2000 – Princess Charlene meets Prince Albert at the Mare Nostrum swimming competition in Monte Carlo
2005 – 5月, a former flight attendant claims that her youngest son, whom she named Alexandre Grimaldi-Coste, was Prince Albert’s child. She states that his parentage had been proven by DNA tests requested by the Monegasque government.
オン 6 7月, a few days before he was enthroned on 12 7月, the Prince officially confirms via his lawyer Lacoste that Alexandre was his biological son.
2006 – After a DNA test confirmed the child’s parentage, Albert admitted, via statement from his lawyer, that he is Jazmin Grace’s father.
2010 – Princess Charlene and Prince Albert announce their engagement
2011 – Princess Charlene was said to have bolted two days before the royal wedding after hearing Prince Albert had a third love child during their relationship. It was alleged that Charlene tried to flee home to South Africa three times before her ‘arranged marriage’, at one point taking refuge inside her country’s embassy in Paris.
Monaco officials were said to have coaxed her back by brokering a deal between the Prince and his reluctant bride that she provide him with a legitimate heir. After that she would be free to leave of her own free will.
During the wedding, Charlene was in floods of tears, while her husband looked on impassively. Later in the year, Princess Charlene confessed she felt ‘very lonely’ in Monaco
2012 – Princess Charlene was reported to be ‘depressed’ at her failure to provide her husband with a legitimate heir.
2014 – Pregnancy was announced in May. In December Charlene gave birth to twins Princess Gabriella and heir to the throne Prince Jacques.
2017 – Princess Charlene visits Africa, tells media: ‘I am African and this is my heritage. It will always be. It’s in my heart and in my veins.’
2019 – In a rare interview, Princess Charlene confessed it is ‘sometimes hard to smile’ and said the year had been ‘very painful’In another interview, she said she found motherhood ‘exhausting’
2020 – Charlene debuts a shocking half-shaved hairstyle. It is announced Prince Albert of Monaco will appear in court in the new year to fight explosive claims he fathered a third love child with a secret girlfriend before marrying his now wife Princess Charlene.
2021 – 1月 27 – シャーリーンは、モナコでのサントデボーテセレモニーのためにアルバートと一緒に描かれています. It is the last time she has been seen in Monaco this year.
Charlene also escaped Royal protocol by staying at Roc Agel, a mountain retreat on the outskirts of Monaco originally restored for Albert’s late mother, the Hollywood star Grace Kelly who became Princess Grace before her tragic death in a car crash on the treacherously steep road approaching Roc Agel.
Charlene was also a frequent visitor to a holiday home owned by friends on the Mediterranean island of Corsica.
Paris Match, the celeb bible, has always had particularly close ties with the Grimaldis – the ancient dynasty now headed by Albert and Charlene.
‘Charlene and Albert on the Verge of Breaking Up?’ was the lead headline in an edition of Match in August.
‘There will be no photo for their 10th anniversary wedding anniversary,’ it noted.
All the high-end French publications – the kind that Albert and Charlene would normally grant fawning interviews to – concurred.
The upmarket and very conservative Madame Figaro ran with the stark headline: ‘Are Charlene and Albert II of Monaco on the verge of divorce?’
Historian and author Philippe Delorme told the magazine: ‘Lots of people got the impression it was an arranged marriage, it’s true.
‘Albert chose a wife who resembled his mother and Charlene clearly felt very ill at ease in this Grace Kelly role they wanted her to play.
‘As Karl Marx put it: History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.’
ザ・ 2011 wedding itself was an ostentatious three-day event featuring a concert by the Eagles. But onlookers were concerned by photos of the bride in tears with her husband appearing distant, but Charlene insisted later she was just emotional.
Charlene has been notable by her absence from every single flagship event in the tax haven principality this year.
They have included the Monaco Grand Prix on May 23, and the Fashion Awards hosted by the Princess’s own charitable foundation on May 18.
Charlene infamously shaved half her head in the style of a punk rocker last December.
This was seen as the first public sign of a worsening crisis that could end in a multi-million pound divorce.
Charlene’s exile in South Africa began a month after it emerged last December that Albert was facing yet another paternity suit.
A Brazilian woman who cannot be named for legal reasons said her 15-year-old daughter was the result of an affair with Albert in 2004.
Albert and Charlene were not yet engaged at this time, but they had known each over for four years after meeting at a swimming gala in Monaco in 2000.
Lawyers for the claimant were scheduled to demand a DNA test from Albert at a court in Milan earlier this year, while his own counsel branded the action ‘a hoax’.
Neither party is now commenting, suggesting some kind of generous settlement may have been reached, as happened with Albert’s earlier love children.
They are Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, 今は誰ですか 29 and the result of Albert’s affair with an American estate agent, and Alexandre Coste, 17, whose mother is a former Togolese air hostess.
Both children were struck off Monaco’s line of succession in return for vast financial settlements.