Time for a cheeky ‘SPOONS! Pub chain Wetherspoon is taking on Nando’s with new range of £7.99 spicy chargrilled chicken meals available from TODAY
Wetherspoon pubs are launching an assault on Nando’s by serving a new range of chargrilled chicken meals from today starting at just £7.99 with a drink.
The Watford-based pub chain said the British farm assured chicken is served on the bone having been marinated, slow cooked and finished on the chargrill.
The half-chicken comes with coleslaw and either a lemon and herb glaze and a garlic and herb dip; or with a spicy Naga chilli and citrus glaze and Sriracha hot sauce.
Both meals are served with a choice of chips, spicy rice or salad – and customers can also add a portion of five chicken wings as well as spicy seasoning to their chips.
The majority of the company’s pubs – 644 in total – will be serving the main meals at the price of £7.99 including a soft drink or £9.29 with a alcoholic drink.
Prices are slightly higher in the remainder of pubs – around 170 – and there are 14 pubs where prices will be lower. The five chicken wings cost £2.50 in all pubs.
The headline price is nearly half the equivalent at Nando’s which offers a similar meal for £12.45 plus £1.65 for a soft drink – or beer from £3.95 and wine from £3.15.
The Wetherspoon half-chicken comes with coleslaw and either a lemon and herb glaze and a garlic and herb dip; or with a spicy Naga chilli and citrus glaze and Sriracha hot sauce
How do Wetherspoon’s chicken prices compare to Nando’s?
Wetherspoon – £7.99, meal with drink
- One choice of flavouring out of: a lemon and herb glaze and a garlic and herb dip; or a spicy Naga chilli and citrus glaze and Sriracha hot sauce
- One side of coleslaw
- One side from: chips; spicy rice; or salad
- One non-alcoholic drink (eg glass of Pepsi)
Nando’s – £14.10, meal with drink
- Half chicken
- One choice of flavouring out of: extra hot; hot; medium, spiced clementine; lemon and herb; ‘plain…ish’; and ‘Peri-Tamer’
- Two sides from a choice of: Peri-salted chips, garlic bread; chips, spicy rice; corn on the cob; rainbox slaw; spiced grains and butternut squash; creamy mash; coleslaw; macho peas; long-stem broccoli; and mixed leaf salad
- £1.65 extra for non-alcoholic drink (eg Coca-Cola 330ml bottle)
Matt Elsdon, Wetherspoon’s senior food development manager, said this morning: ‘We strive to offer our customers the widest choice of meals. We believe the chargrilled chicken dishes will be a great addition to the food offering in our pubs.’
Last week it emerged that younger customers drinking cocktails had helped boost Wetherspoon, but the pub giant had seen some of its older clientele stay away.
The group, led by Tim Martin, saw shares dip after it revealed like-for-like sales over a 15-week period were 8.9 per cent down on levels from the same period in 2019.
Wetherspoon said this included a 9.6 per cent decline in bar sales, although it highlighted a surge in sales of drinks typically bought by its younger customers.
Nando’s has a range of grilled chicken options which Wetherspoon will now be competing with
Over the 15-week period to November 7, the hospitality firm saw cocktail sales rise 45 per cent, vodka sales increase 17 per cent and rum sales rise 26 per cent.
Meanwhile, it revealed draught products, which are traditionally bought by its older customers, saw significant declines amid caution due to the pandemic.
Wetherspoons added its food volumes ‘appear to have been affected by some customers working from home’, with sales of breakfasts dropping by 22 per cent.
Last month Wetherspoon recorded its biggest loss on record after suffering heavily from Covid-19 restrictions – losing more than £150million last year.
Wetherspoon pubs are taking on Nando’s by serving a new range of chargrilled chicken meals
The company has only seen losses in three of its 37 years – in 1984, 2020 and 2021 – but the 12 months to July 25 were its worst to date.
The chain sunk to a pre-tax loss of £154.7million, up from £34.1million a year ago, while sales were down from £1.26billion to £772.6million.
Nando’s was founded in Johannesburg in 1987, and there are now more than 450 outlets in the British Isles. The first UK one opened in Ealing, West London, in 1992.
In August the chain had to temporarily close around 70 outlets in Britain after staff shortages hit its chicken supply chain in a blow to the country’s hospitality sector.
How to make your own Nando’s! FEMAIL reveals how to make your own PERi-PERi dishes at home (and the secret is to bake AND grill it)
By Bridie Pearson-Jones For MailOnline
Nando’s released a step-by-step guide last year to their famous PERi-PERi chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas during an Instagram live when their restaurants were forced to shut in lockdown.
Hosted by Nando’s head of food Tim Molema, live from his kitchen, with singer Jgrrey following his instructions, the live stream promised a fun hour of cooking the marinated thighs and rice,.
In order to cook their famous PERi-PERi- chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas, Mr Molema advised to have the boneless chicken thighs marinated overnight in the Nando’s sauce of your choosing to give it their unmistakable taste.
He advised to get chicken the Nando’s way, the secret was to bake it in the oven then finish it off in a hot grill pan.
Fancy trying it yourself? Here, FEMAIL reveals how to make Nando’s chicken at home if your local branch is closed.
NANDO’S BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE
- 125g bottle of PERi-PERi Sauce (choose your flavour)
- 12 boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- To serve Your favourite Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
Last year, Nando’s released a step-by-step guide to their famous PERi-PERi chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas during an Instagram live when their restaurants were forced to shut in lockdown. Pictured are their PERi-PERi thighs
- Put the chicken thighs in a bowl and rub all over with the sauce. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour to marinate, preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 180c (standard setting, not fan) or gas mark 4.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a roasting tray skin side up. Cook for approx 20 mins, or until the chicken is just cooked.
- Heat up a grill pan on the stove.
- When it’s smoking hot, put the 4-6 thighs skin side down in the grill pan.
- Leave the thighs without moving them to recreate Nando’s unique grill marks.
- Turn thighs over once the skin has the grill marks and grill for another 1-2min.
- Turn the oven down to 100c (under gas mark 1) and keep the grilled thighs warm whilst repeating with remaining thighs.
- Brush over your chosen Nando’s sauce and serve.
NANDO’S MACHO PEA RECIPE
- 400g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3-4 springs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 good pinches of dried red chilli flakes (add more if you like it hot)
Nando’s mix their peas with fresh parsley sprigs and fresh mint, as well as olive oil and butter to give it their famous creamy consistency (pictured: Nando’s macho peas)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- When boiling, add the peas and cook for 3 mins.
- Drain peas in a colander.
- In the same pot, heat the butter and olive oil until butter has melted.
- Add the salt and chilli flakes and cook for 30 secs.
- Add the peas back to the pot and stir through the chopped herbs.
- Mix the peas and herbs thoroughly through the butter mix. Taste for seasoning and serve.
NANDO’S SPICY RICE RECIPE
- 200g Basmatri rice
- 450ml Cold Water
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 small green chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/2 cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
Tim also revealed how to make Nando’s spicy rice (pictured), which involves a green chilli, ground tumeric, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika
- In a sieve, wash the rice under cold water.
- On a medium heat, heat the oil in a saucepan that you have a lid for. Add the onion and salt. Cook for 5 mins until the onion softens.
- Add the garlic, chilli and green pepper. Cook for 5 mins until the pepper begins to soften.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika, and cook for 1 min until fragrant, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir through the washed rice, and then pour in the water.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and turn heat to low. Cook for 10 mins.
- Without taking the lid off, turn the heat off and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- Stir through the lemon juice and coriander. Taste for seasoning.
And if you can’t get your hands on Nando’s premade sauce… try SORTEDFOOD’s Piri-Piri chicken
SORTEDfood – YouTube is an online food community with more than three million followers, dedicated to making delicious food accessible to everyone.
Here, they share their recipe for Piri-Piri chicken with FEMAIL…
SORTEDfood – YouTube is an online food community with more than three million followers, dedicated to making delicious food accessible to everyone. Here, they share their recipe for Piri-Piri chicken with FEMAIL…
- 4 cloves garlic
- 160 ml olive oil
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 fresh chillies (to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 small chicken
- 1 handful mixed salad leaves
- 1 portion chunky chips
MAKE THE MARINADE
- Peel the garlic cloves and stick into a food blender with the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, thyme, chillies and salt. Blend to a smooth marinade.
CUT THE CHICKEN
2. Cut either side of the backbone with a pair of sharp shears and then remove the diamond-shaped breast bone from inside the cavity.
RUB OVER THE MARINADE
3. Open the chicken up like a book and rub the marinade all over, inside and out. Leave in the fridge overnight if you can.
PREHEAT THE OVEN
4.Preheat oven to 180°C.
ROAST THE CHICKEN
5. Lay the spatchcock chicken on a baking tray and roast for about an hour until cooked right through and there are no signs of blood at the thickest parts of the bird. Check by cutting into a leg joint.
SERVE WITH CHIPS!
6. Serve with plenty of fresh salad and some chunky chips. Serves 2-4