Prince Andrew is stripped of his uniforms: The military finery that he will no longer be entitled to wear after having his honorary ranks removed by The Queen while facing sex assault lawsuit
安德鲁王子 today lost any slim chance that he might hold onto more than a dozen military titles after he was warned he will face his upcoming civil sex assault lawsuit in America as a ‘private citizen’.
安德鲁, who remains Duke of York, also loses his royal patronages ‘with the Queen’s approval and agreement’, 白金汉宫 said in a terse statement that brought his 61 years as a senior royal to a shock end.
Thursday’s announcement would come as a stinging blow to Andrew, a Falklands War veteran who once served in the Royal Navy as a helicopter pilot.
His military appointments and royal patronages are now set to be shared out among his fellow members of the royal household.
The Duke’s 15 ceremonial military roles, which saw him take up prestigious titles of Canadian, New Zealand and British military units, were dramatically returned to the Queen on Thursday
Buckingham Palace said in a statement this afternoon, 哪个读: ‘With The Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen’
Andrew will no longer serve the position of Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, one of the oldest and most emblematic regiments in the British Army. He is pictured above in the honourary Colonel’s uniform in 2019
He has also today lost his role as honorary air commodore of RAF Lossiemouth. Andrew is pictured above in RAF regalia in Lossiemouth, Scotland in 2015
Among Andrew’s ceremonial naval titles included Admiral of the Sea Cadet Corps. 他在照片中 2007 at Horse Guards Parade to commemorate 25 years since the Falklands War
Buckingham Palace announced the Queen’s decision to cast Andrew out of the royal fold in a statement released this afternoon.
‘With The Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen,’ 它读. ‘The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.’
As head of the armed forces, the Queen reserves the right to revoke any military title handed out by herself.
Tobias Ellwood MP, the chair of the House of Commons Defence Select Committee, said he welcomed the removal of Andrew’s military titles.
He told the BBC’s Newcast podcast: ‘Prince Andrew already had stepped back from many of his public duties – I think all of them, 以及 – so I think this was anticipated, indeed it was expected, from this perspective, so I’m actually not surprised.’
Dickie Arbiter, a former royal press secretary, told the Times the Queen would be ‘very sad’ about the decision, but insisted she would do whatever necessary to protect ‘the interests of the institution’.
A royal source said the issue had been widely discussed with the royal family, making it likely that the Prince of Wales, as well as Andrew, were involved in crisis talks over the matter. The source said the military posts would be redistributed to other members of the royal family.
The Palace had confirmed the Duke’s military appointments were ‘in abeyance’ after he stepped back from public duties in 2019.
Buckingham Palace announced the Prince’s military affiliations and royal patronages have all been returned to the Queen. He is pictured in uniform of the Royal Highland Fusiliers 2nd Battalion (剩下) 在 2011, and as Colonel in Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment in 2003 (对)
Prince Andrew in regalia of the 2nd Logistic Battalion in New Zealand. 星期四, he lost his honourary title of Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment
Andrew served in the Falklands War and started his military career as a Royal Navy helicopter pilot in 1979
约克公爵, at the controls of a Warrior tracked armoured vehicle during a visit to the Staffordshire Regiment at Fallingbostel Station barracks in Bad Fallingbostel, Lower Saxony, 德国, 10th July 1989. The Duke was Colonel-in-Chief of the Staffordshire Regiment
但, prior to today, he still retained the roles, including the position of Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, one of the oldest and most emblematic regiments in the British Army.
His other British honorary military titles are: Honorary air commodore of RAF Lossiemouth; Colonel-in-chief of the Royal Irish Regiment; Colonel-in-chief of the Small Arms School Corps; Commodore-in-Chief of the Fleet Air Arm; Royal colonel of the Royal Highland Fusiliers; Deputy colonel-in-chief of The Royal Lancers (Queen Elizabeths’ Own); and Royal colonel of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
It comes after more than 150 veterans joined forces to express their outrage, writing to the Queen to demand Andrew was removed from the honorary military positions.
Accusing the duke of bringing the services he is associated with into disrepute, 的 152 former members of the Royal Navy, RAF and Army said that ‘were this any other senior military officer it is inconceivable that he would still be in post’.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said it had no comment about the duke’s military titles because it was a matter for the Palace.
Former BBC Royal Correspondent Jenny Bond said: ‘Clearly pressure has been exerted on him, and pressure on the Queen was growing for some action because of the disquiet within the military, and people beginning to say “we don’t want to toast his health” at the end of regimental dinners.
‘With the court procedures the way they are in the United States, this is going to roll on and on probably well into next year, thus overshadowing the Queen’s platinum jubilee year so that, 我认为, will be very much up in Prince Andrew’s mind.’
A Royal Navy veteran, Prince Andrew was named the Admiral of the Sea Cadet Corps. He is pictured aboard the Indian aircraft carrier INS Viraat in Mumbai, 印度, 在五月 2012
The Prince has also lost the honourary roles of Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment, pictured in regalia, 剩下, and Colonel-in-chief of the Royal Irish Regiment
The Duke of York was pictured sitting in the back of a Range Rover this morning as he was being driven from his house in Windsor Great Park
A stern-faced 安德鲁王子 broke his cover in Windsor this morning, with the duke seen seen sitting in the back of his £80,000 Range Rover while being driven from his home in Windsor Great Park.
今天, a source close to the royal said he would ‘continue to defend himself’ against Ms Giuffre’s allegations following the judge’s decision to dismiss his legal team’s attempt to have the case thrown out.
消息人士说: ‘Given the robustness with which Judge Kaplan greeted our arguments, we are unsurprised by the ruling. 然而, it was not a judgement on the merits of Ms Giuffre’s allegations. This is a marathon not a sprint and the duke will continue to defend himself against these claims.’
It came as reports suggested he could avoid a trial by using the sale of his £18million Swiss chalet to try to pay off Ms Giuffre with at least £10million of the proceeds.
MailOnline revealed this week that Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah, 的 约克公爵夫人, settled a £6.6 million debt with a French socialite, paving the way for him to sell his beloved ski chalet to fund his alleged sex abuse case.
Isabelle de Rouvre, 74, sold her house, Chalet Helora, to her then-friends Prince Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson in 2014 for £18million, would be paid for in instalments. But Ms de Rouvre claimed the Yorks failed to make the final instalment of £5m for the property in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Verbier – but this week the Yorks stumped up the cash, ending the legal battle and clearing the way for a sale.
With the chalet now on the market, the ninth in line to the throne will use up to £10million of the final sale price to settle with Ms Giuffre, 根据太阳报, but without admission of liability to her claims she was forced to have sex with him three times when she was 17. He has repeatedly denied the claims.
Mark Stephens, an expert in constitutional law, has said that Andrew will need to find between £5million and £10million to offer Ms Giuffre and hope she spares him a trial.
他说: ‘Judge Lewis Kaplan has thrown a reasoned judicial decision like a bomb into the middle and the heart of the royal family and threatens to provoke constitutional crisis as a consequence’.
He said the duke has ‘no good options’, 加: '本质上, I think he’s either going to have to engage in the trial process or he’s going to have to settle and that may well be his least worst option.’ 他加了: ‘There is a need to limit the damage. 安德鲁, I suspect will be stripped of his royal titles. A settlement of five or ten million is a good bet but Ms Giuffre may want her day in court.’
安德鲁王子 is now facing the biggest gamble of his life after a judge in the US unequivocally rejected a bid to have his sex abuse case thrown out of court.
All of Prince Andrew’s titles and patronages he has now lost
The Queen has stripped the Duke of York of his honorary military roles and royal patronages, Buckingham Palace announced this evening.
The move is a major blow to Andrew, who is facing a looming civil sexual assault court showdown after a New York judge sensationally ruled yesterday that the case could go ahead.
Andrew’s honorary military titles
- Personal Aide-de-Camp to the Queen;
- Colonel of the Grenadier Guards;
- Colonel-in-Chief of the 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s);
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment (27日 (Inniskilling) 83rd and 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment);
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Small Arms School Corps;
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th Foot);
- Royal Colonel of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland;
- Honorary Air Commodore, Royal Air Force Lossiemouth;
- Commodore-in-Chief of the Fleet Air Arm;
- Admiral of the Sea Cadet Corps.
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Queen’s York Rangers (1st American Regiment);
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada;
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess Louise Fusiliers;
- Colonel-in-Chief of the Canadian Airborne Regiment (disbanded).
Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment.
- Alderney Maritime Trust;
- Army Officers’ Golfing Society;
- Army Rifle Association;
- Attend (National Association of Hospital and Community Friends);
- Berkshire County Cricket Club;
- British-Kazakh Society;
- Commonwealth Golfing Society;
- Fire Service Sports and Athletics Association;
- Fly Navy Heritage Trust;
- Foundation for Liver Research;
- The Friends of Lakefield College School;
- Friends of the Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s);
- Greenwich Hospital;
- Grenadier Guards;
- H.M.S. Duke of York Association;
- Horris Hill School;
- Hunstanton Golf Club;
- Interfaith Explorers;
- Inverness Golf Club;
- Killyleagh Yacht Club;
- Lakefield College School;
- Lucifer Golfing Society;
- Maimonides Interfaith Foundation;
- Maple Bay Yacht Club;
- Port of Dartmouth Royal Regatta;
- Quad-Centenary Club;
- Queen’s York Rangers;
- Robert T. 琼斯, r. Scholarship Foundation;
- Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom;
- Royal Aero Club Trust;
- Royal Air Force Golfing Society;
- Royal Air Force Lossiemouth;
- Royal Alberta United Services Institute;
- Royal Artillery Golfing Society;
- Royal Ascot Golf Club;
- Royal Belfast Golf Club;
- Royal Blackheath Golf Club;
- Royal British Legion Scotland, Inverness Branch; Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club;
- Royal County Down Golf Club;
- Royal Free Charity;
- Royal Guild of St Sebastian (Royal Guild of Archers of St. 塞巴斯蒂安 – Bruges);
- The Royal Highland Fusiliers Of Canada;
- Royal Irish Regiment (27日 (Inniskilling), 83rd and 87th and The Ulster Defence Regiment);
- Royal Jersey Golf Club;
- Royal Liverpool Golf Club;
- Royal Montrose Golf Club;
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital;
- Royal Navy Golf Association;
- Royal Navy Golfing Society;
- Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment (The Duke of York’s Own);
- Royal Norwich Golf Club;
- Royal Perth Golfing Society and Country and City Club;
- Royal Portrush Golf Club;
- Royal St David’s Golf Club;
- Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies;
- Royal Victoria Yacht Club, 不列颠哥伦比亚省;
- Royal Winchester Golf Club;
- Royal Windsor Horse Show;
- Ryedale Festival;
- SickKids Foundation;
- Small Arms School Corps;
- Sound Seekers;
- St Helena National Trust;
- Staffordshire Regiment Trust;
- STFC Harwell and Daresbury Science and Innovation Campus;
- Sunningdale Ladies Golf Club;
- The Association of Royal Navy Officers;
- The Colonel’s Fund (Grenadier Guards);
- The Corporation of Trinity House;
- The Duke of York Young Champions’ Trophy;
- The Duke of York’s Community Initiative;
- The Entrepreneurship Centre, Cambridge Judge Business School;
- The Fleet Air Arm;
- The Fleet Air Arm Officers’ 协会;
- The Gordonstoun Association;
- The Helicopter Club of Great Britain;
- The Honourable Artillery Company;
- The Honourable Company of Air Pilots;
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn;
- The Institution of Civil Engineers;
- The Ladder Foundation;
- The Northern Meeting;
- The Omani Britain Friendship Association (OBFA);
- The Princess Louise Fusiliers;
- The Returned & Services League of Australia Limited;
- The Royal Air Squadron;
- The Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League;
- The Royal Fine Art Commission Trust;
- The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland;
- The Royal Household Golf Club;
- The Royal Institute of Navigation;
- The Royal Lancers (Queen Elizabeth’s Own);
- The Royal Regiment of Scotland;
- The Royal Society;
- The Royal Thames Yacht Club;
- The South Atlantic Medal Association (SAMA 82);
- The Worshipful Company of Shipwrights;
- University of Cambridge Judge Business School;
- Wellington Academy;
- Wellington College International Tianjin;
- Westminster Academy;
- Yorkshire Society