The sweetest Christmas: Chocolate hazelnut meringue cake
This deep moussey meringue cake with its crisp top is endlessly adaptable: you can use almost any combination of dried fruits and nuts you fancy.
FOR THE CAKE
vegetable oil, for greasing
4 large egg whites
225g golden or white caster sugar
100g roasted chopped hazelnuts
75g dried cranberries
150g dark chocolate (di 70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped, più 1 tbsp shaved to decorate
FOR THE TOPPING
150g crème fraîche
150G 0% fat greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170C fan/gas 5 and grease a 20cm springform cake tin that is at least 7cm deep.
- For the cake, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they rise into a foam using an electric whisk. Gradually whisk in the sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time, whisking well with each addition until you have a stiff, glossy meringue.
- Fold in the hazelnuts, cranberries and chocolate. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 35 minutes or until risen and crusty. Carefully run a knife around the collar and leave the cake to cool. Ideally this should be eaten on the day it is made.
- Blend the crème fraîche and yogurt together in a medium bowl (you can do this in advance, cover and chill it).
- Just before serving, spread the cream in the middle of the meringue, pile the chocolate shavings in the centre.