Veg with edge: Garlic rice with caramelized onions and mushrooms
Any mushrooms will work for this dish – it’s nice to mix them up and use a variety, but go with what you have or what’s in season. It’s a very simple dish that’s full of flavour, quick to make, without compromising. You can use whichever rice you like, making the most of what’s in your cupboard.
봉사 4 as a side or 2 as a main
1–2 tbsp coconut oil
5–6 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
approx. 250g dried rice of choice (갈색, 하얀, 빨간, 검정, wild etc.)
1 레몬, juice and zest
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
approx. 500g mushrooms of choice, torn or roughly chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
approx. 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
a pinch of dried chilli flakes
salt and pepper
- Put ½-1 tbsp of coconut oil into a saucepan over a low heat. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or so, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic burning. Add your rice and lightly dry fry.
- Add about 1–1.5 litres of water to the pan (you may need more depending on the type of rice you are using), along with a large pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Depending on your rice, the cooking time will vary. Longer for black, 빨간, 갈색. Ideally keep the rice covered until cooked, about 12–15 minutes for white, 약 30 minutes for brown and 35–40 for red or black. Once cooked, there should be little to no water left. Remove from the heat, let the rice sit for a few minutes, add the lemon then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large flat pan or wok. Add the onion wedges and sauté for a couple of minutes, until fragrant and browned. Add the mushrooms plus a dash of water and sauté for a few minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, thyme and chilli flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Continue
- to cook, allowing the liquid to reduce and the onions and mushrooms to begin to soften and caramelize, about 12–15 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve, portion out the rice and ladle over the desired amount of mushrooms. Add any garnishes of choice: chilli flakes, thyme, etc., and enjoy.