Veg with edge: Garlic rice with caramelized onions and mushrooms
Any mushrooms will work for this dish – it’s nice to mix them up and use a variety, but go with what you have or what’s in season. It’s a very simple dish that’s full of flavour, quick to make, without compromising. You can use whichever rice you like, making the most of what’s in your cupboard.
SERVES 4 as a side or 2 as a main
1–2 tbsp coconut oil
5–6 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
approx. 250g dried rice of choice (brown, white, red, black, wild etc.)
1 lemon, juice and zest
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
approx. 500g mushrooms of choice, torn or roughly chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
approx. 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
a pinch of dried chilli flakes
salt and pepper
- Put ½-1 tbsp of coconut oil into a saucepan over a low heat. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or so, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic burning. Add your rice and lightly dry fry.
- Add about 1–1.5 litres of water to the pan (you may need more depending on the type of rice you are using), along with a large pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Depending on your rice, the cooking time will vary. Longer for black, red, brown. Ideally keep the rice covered until cooked, about 12–15 minutes for white, about 30 minutes for brown and 35–40 for red or black. Once cooked, there should be little to no water left. Remove from the heat, let the rice sit for a few minutes, add the lemon then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large flat pan or wok. Add the onion wedges and sauté for a couple of minutes, until fragrant and browned. Add the mushrooms plus a dash of water and sauté for a few minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, thyme and chilli flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Continue
- to cook, allowing the liquid to reduce and the onions and mushrooms to begin to soften and caramelize, about 12–15 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve, portion out the rice and ladle over the desired amount of mushrooms. Add any garnishes of choice: chilli flakes, thyme, etc., and enjoy.