Veg with edge: Lazy day pasta and garlic kale sauce
A pinch of chilli and lemon zest really brings this to life. You could try adding another vegetable to the sauce if you don’t have, or like, 蘑菇.
1 large bunch of kale, any variety, roughly chopped (cavolo nero is also great)
1 large shallot or white onion, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic: 4 crushed or finely chopped, 2 thinly sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp dijon mustard
4 tbsp white wine
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 lemon, juiced, plus a dash of zest
salt and pepper
approx 340g dried pasta of choice
200g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add your chopped kale and cook for 5-7 分钟, until wilted and cooked through. You can also steam it. Once cooked, drain and blanch in cold water briefly to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer the kale to a blender and add your chopped shallot or onion, the crushed or finely chopped cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, nutritional yeast, mustard, white wine, chilli flakes, lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper and blend until you have a relatively smooth but thick sauce mixture. You can add water or a little more oil to loosen if necessary. Season to taste (adding more nutritional yeast if desired), then pop to one side while you make the rest of the dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add your desired pasta. Cook until al dente, 关于 10-12 分钟. Drain, then put back into the pot and cover.
- While your pasta is cooking, heat up about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Once hot, add the sliced cloves of garlic and sauté until golden and fragrant. Make sure you stir frequently to prevent them burning.
- Add your sliced mushrooms to the garlic and sweat until soft. You can add a dash more olive oil or water to the pan if it is a little dry. Season with salt and pepper. The mushrooms will sweat and wilt very quickly. Pour in your kale sauce and heat up over a low heat, again stirring frequently. Heat until cooked through.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta in the pot and stir well. You can do this over a low heat if your pasta has cooled too much. Season with extra salt and pepper, chilli flakes and olive oil to taste. Dish up accordingly and enjoy!