‘Dozens of dogs’ fall ill after walking on east coast beaches after healthy Great Dane died from a lung infection after swimming in ‘polluted’ sea water
Dog owners have been warned against taking their pets for walks along the Yorkshire coastline after a number of animals have fallen ill.
Veterinary nurse Brogan Proud, who runs Yorkshire Coast Pet Care, warned dog walkers to avoid the beaches after noticing a ‘high increase’ in pets suffering with diarrhoea and vomiting.
Many Facebook posts from concerned and confused owners have detailed the symptoms after going for a stroll on the picturesque beaches.
A number of Facebook groups shared instances of their canine companions (库存图片) falling ill with symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea after walking along beaches in Yorkshire
One such account, Yorkshire Coast Pet Care, shared a post warning pet owners against visiting the area for the time being
Ashley Brown-Bolton said she took her nine-month-old beagle spaniel Copper to Fraisthorpe Beach in the East Riding on Sunday, and he started vomiting on Monday.
She said the dog suffered diarrhoea and was unable to keep water for 24 hours and she took him to the vets on Tuesday.
她说: ‘The ones who know him know he’s normally very lively & always wanting to play so for him to be very sleepy & just not interested isn’t like him at all.
‘We have taken him to the vets this morning who have given him a anti sickness jab & got to keep a eye on him over the next 24hours. Plenty of rest & snuggles.
‘Please just be careful as it has been heart-breaking & very worrying seeing our little pup so unwell. Hopefully he’s going to be on the mend now.’
Yorkshire Coast Pet Care shared a post warning pet owners against visiting the area after a spate of incidents started two weeks ago.
They posted on Facebook about the bizarre illness which attracted more than 1,000 responses with many dog owners sharing their experiences.
A number of pet owners responded to the warning on Facebook with examples of their pets falling ill after taking trips to beaches in Yorkshire
Their post said: ‘I work within several practices up and down the North East coast and we have recently been inundated with dogs coming off the beaches with vomiting and diarrhoea.’
Aaron Yeates took his French bulldog Ada to Robin Hood’s Bay over the New Year and said his dog became ill after they returned home.
The sickness and diarrhoea led to two trips to the vets and Ada is only now starting to recover.
Aaron said: ‘She’s lost a considerable amount of weight. Her harness barely fits.’
Another dog owner said: ‘My six-month-old Lab has had horrendous diarrhoea for the past four days , thankfully he’s now almost back to his usual self.’
‘I was going to contact the vets today if there was no improvement. We have walked on both the beach at Robin Hoods Bay and the railway line at Bay / Thorpe .’
Yorkshire Coast Pet Care claim animals have fallen ill after trips to Scarborough, Robin Hood’s Bay (图为), Whitby and Marske-by-the-sea
One dog walker added: ‘My dog fell ill last weekend after being walked down the gare at Redcar ..five day’s he was ill whilst in the vets there was also another dog who had been walked down there and was ill.’
Yorkshire Coast Pet Care claim animals have fallen ill after trips to Scarborough, Robin Hood’s Bay, Whitby and Marske-by-the-sea, 守护者 报告.
But it has yet to be confirmed exactly what is causing the dogs to fall ill, whether the ill dogs exhibit similar symptoms, or if the illnesses are linked to the beaches at all.
Following the public outcry over the dogs falling ill, 环境部, 粮食和农村事务 (Defra) said that it was aware of the incidents and was communicating with the Animal and Plant Health Agency.
Kirsty Salisbury, coastal general manager for East Riding council, said a team sent to inspect the beaches had not discovered anything out of the ordinary.
David Arthur has been left heartbroken after his 13-month-old dog Odin (图为) has died after swimming in ‘polluted’ sea water every day
她补充说: ‘From reports from local veterinary surgeries, the illness they are seeing within dogs and the tests carried out have not provided any direct links with the use of beaches.’
It comes after a dog owner told how his ‘fit and strong’ one-year-old Great Dane died after he developed a lung infection from swimming in ‘polluted’ sea water.
David Arthur’s 13-month-old dog Odin went swimming every day at Hayling Island beach near Portsmouth, 汉斯, but had to be put to sleep after developing a lung infection.
Mr Arthur, 59, from Cowplain, 汉斯, had already spent £6,000 on treating Odin but vets said the dog’s lungs were too badly damaged from pneumonia, with vets pointing to the sea as a likely cause of infection.
Odin’s illness in September followed a public outcry about sewage being pumped into the sea off the South coast, while Southern Water were fined £90million last July for pouring sewage into the sea.