Wow right now: Corn chowder with crispy bacon
This right here is a big bowl of sunshine! It’s hearty enough to have as a supper as I’ve added diced potatoes for more texture and chunkiness. What makes the soup a little thick is the addition of flour – you can use gluten-free flour if you prefer.
PRENDE 30 minuti
1 tbsp butter
100g smoked bacon lardons
1 brown onion, tritato
1 tbsp plain flour
450ml good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
450ml full-fat milk
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into rough 1cm cubes
½ tbsp olive oil
4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
4 spring onions, finely sliced
200g frozen or canned sweetcorn, drained if canned
a small bunch of chives, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan or ovenproof casserole dish over a high heat. Add the bacon lardons and fry for 3-4 minutes until they start to look crispy. Add the onion and fry for a further 3-4 minutes until the onion is beginning to soften.
- Sprinkle over the flour and mix well to coat the bacon and onion. Pour in the stock and milk and add the potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked but have not started to fall apart.
- While the soup is simmering, heat the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and add the streaky bacon. Fry until very crispy and blot dry on kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Once the potato is cooked, add the spring onions and sweetcorn to the soup. Bring back to a simmer to heat the corn through. Season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Break the crispy rashers of bacon into shards and scatter over the soup along with the chopped chives. Garnish with lots of black pepper to serve.