Sjoe nou: Nutty chicken
Delicious chargrilled chicken and an addictive peanut sauce that takes just 5 minutes to make! Coconut rice partners so well with the satay flavours.
TAKES 10 minute
4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into strips
½ cucumber, in blokkies gesny
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
250g packet of pre-cooked, microwave coconut rice
½ small red onion, in skywe gesny
pinch of chilli flakes
FOR THE MARINADE
1 tbsp peanut oil
¾ tsp ground turmeric
½ teaspoon mild curry powder
1 garlic clove, grated
1 tsp caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE PEANUT SATAY SAUCE
165ml can of coconut milk
4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
juice of ½ lime
½ tsp lemongrass paste
1cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
½ tsp mild curry powder
½ tbsp dark soft brown sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Eerste, make the peanut satay sauce. Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minute.
- Intussen, put the chicken thighs in a glass bowl, add the marinade ingredients and mix well until the thighs are evenly coated.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Place the marinated chicken in the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the cucumber, white wine vinegar and caster sugar in a small bowl and cook the coconut rice according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the satay on the coconut rice with the cucumber salad, sliced red onion, a sprinkle of chilli flakes and the peanut sauce drizzled over the top.
TIP Thin strips of pork fillet work really well with satay sauce or, for a meat-free alternative, substitute thick slices of firm tofu.